Saratoga Rugby Club was initially Saratoga Stampede and was founded in 2005 as a social organization by a few good men. In 2012 under the direction of a new board, the club reemerged as a competitive program. In just 2 years the Stampede moved up from D4 to D3 and finished in the top 4 in the country.
In 2014 the club moved away from the old model and re-branded as Saratoga Rugby Club. Between 2015-2016 the club moved up to D2 and made their first playoffs in 2015!
As well between 2014-2016 the club also launched these milestones;
- 2014 – Saratoga Sevens Rugby Invitational launched! (15 teams & Mexican national team!)
- 2014 – Saratoga Classics (over 35’s) play their first match (and win)!
- 2014 – Saratoga Rugby Grounds established (5 Clement Ave Saratoga Springs, NY) – city center regulation grass pitch & posts!
- 2014 – Saratoga Youth Rugby launched!
- 2015 – Saratoga Collegiates/U23 program launched (as well as collegiate affiliate programs w/ 5 colleges)
- 2016 – Saratoga Collegiate Cup Sevens tournament launched
- 2016 – Saratoga Boys & Girls High School programs introduced
Over the last 4 years, Saratoga Rugby Club has not only taken the initiative to invest in foreign player/coaches, but as well sent players on scholarship to play Scotland & Australia.
Some of Saratoga Rugby Club’s players are currently from/playing in South Africa, New Zealand, Ireland, Scotland, England, France, Hong Kong and Australia.
Saratoga Rugby Club not only hosts some of the best events in the country, but as well has one of the finest grounds in the country. The future is bright for SRC with many great partners and a vision for the future!
Below is a conceptual design for the new Saratoga Rugby Grounds!